In this episode, Christopher Schmitt talks with Dr. Christine Corbett. Dr. Corbett works on the South Pole Telescope on-site at the South Pole in Antarctica for January-November 2016 with the University of Chicago.
Topics discussed with Dr. Christine Corbett:
- 2:35 → Who are you and where are you?
- 3:58 → What brought you to Antarctica?
- 5:08 → What is the experiment Dr. Corbett is working on?
- 6:33 → What does the sound of the Big Bang look like?
- 10:11 → How long is your experiment going on?
- 11:13 → How do you get materials and supplies in to Antarctica?
- 15:31 → What’s Dr. Corbett’s typical day working on Antarctica?
- 17:26 → What problems does the satellite have?
- 22:39 → How many people work at the station?
- 23:25 → Do people come back repeatedly?
- 24:40 → What are some of the unique customs at Antarctica?
- 27:38 → Unique ways birthdays are celebrated at Antarctica.
- 28:55 → Getting outside for the fun of it or for work?
- 31:18 → How fun is Pokemon Go in Antarctica?
- 32:38 → Does Dr. Corbett’s experiment end when she leaves or does someone else take it up on the next shift?
- 35:00 → Is this experience something Dr. Corbett going to return to in the future?
Non Breaking Space Show is still free of charge to those who have caught Mew Pokémon: Non Breaking Space Show № 87: Dr. Christine Corbett — Astrophysics in Antartica